Oolong tea is a type of tea with a long tradition. From its distant country of origin, it has managed to conquer cups from very different places in the world. Did you know that oolong tea burn belly fat?
But what is it that makes this variety of tea so special?
In this text you will be able to find information, curiosities and the most important data on different topics related to Oolong tea: its origin, its preparation, and also its properties.
In addition, you can also learn more about my own favourite variety of oolong tea that I often make for me and my husband: Semper Tea Oolong.
The Legend of Oolong Tea:
As with many other delicatessen products, the creation of oolong tea is believed to be the result of mere chance.
The legend of oolong tea tells the following story:
A tea plantation worker put the freshly harvested tea leaves to dry. He was not done with his homework yet. Out of nowhere, a black snake suddenly appeared. He had to flee for fear of being infected by the deadly venom of the snake and left those tea leaves in the sun.
Due to the fact that he could not spread the tea leaves correctly, a hot and humid product remained, which would have been a real catastrophe for any farmer of this raw material. However, the worker returned to the place where he tried to scatter the leaves to try to save the crop in some way. He had an uneasy conscience and wanted to try that mixture that had arisen from such an accident.
Surprisingly, when he made a cup of tea with those leaves, he discovered that they were not in any way in bad shape. On the contrary, the worker was pleasantly surprised by this new flavour. It was a new drink with special smell and taste, tasty and pleasant tea.
From then on, the production of this new type of tea was refined through much experimentation. In this way, it was possible to obtain a new high-quality variety that today is appreciated by both experienced tea drinkers and those who are beginners in this art.
One of the reasons this tea is so popular is its special aroma, which can magically transport the consumer to its place of origin through each sip.
The Process of Making Oolong Tea
One of the main causes of the aroma of oolong tea is the process of elaboration and transformation of the Camellia Sinensis plant. This will determine the taste and smell of oolong tea when it is in your cup. The keyword in this process is clearly oxidation!
How Does the Oxidation Process Work?
Along with the temperature and humidity of the air, the oxidation process is decisive in the production of oolong tea. This process is what defines its intensity, its colour and its fresh flavour. For this reason, making oolong tea is an art that requires years of experience and knowledge.
It is a unique technique that must be mastered to achieve a high-quality product for the enjoyment of the client.
Chinese tea masters manage to make each oolong tea a masterpiece with its own personality.
The Trade of a Tea Master
Before the oolong tea is ready to be boiled in your cup or teapot, different processes must be carried out in which only the tea master commands :
- After harvesting, the mature tea leaves must first rest for a few hours. Even in this elaboration phase, slight oxidation of the leaves takes place. The flavour base of oolong tea settles.
- Then the oxidation process begins as such: through light shaking and by manually tightening the leaves, they break and then let stand again. When they rest, certain chemical reactions take place that allows the oxidation of the tea. At this time substances such as tannins and chlorophyll are released.
- When the proper oxidation level is reached, the tea leaves are heated moderately to prevent further oxidation.
- The leaves, which are still damp, are rolled by hand or with a special machine so that some liquids can come out to complete and refine the flavour of oolong tea.
Finally, the last drying process occurs, sometimes it can also be roasted at this stage. In this way, oolong tea is more durable and robust. Oolong tea is ready! Perfect for the enjoyment of any tea lover.
Also read our article about pre-workout snacks.
It Finds The Midpoint of Oxidation
Depending on the duration of the oxidation process, the flavour of the tea can be between green tea (0% oxidized) and black tea (100% oxidized).
In this way, oolong tea is at a midpoint, making it suitable for tea admirers who cannot decide on one or the other flavour. However, it should be noted that even among the oolong tea itself different varieties are distinguished.
Four Varieties of oolong blue tea
Four different types of oolong tea are mainly distinguished:
- 12% oxidation: it has a pleasant, fruity and bittersweet flavour.
- 30% oxidation: it is a considerably more intense and therefore more fruity flavour
- 50% oxidation: it also has a sweet flavour, although with a smoky aroma
- 70% oxidation: it has a delicate aroma and dry, with a characteristic golden-green colour.
Depending on the degree of oxidation, different notes of flavour and aroma are formed in oolong tea. This means that there can be many flavour subcategories in oolong tea.
In the small world of oolong tea, you will find interesting variations and gradations with refined aromas. It is something that makes it very special and attractive to any tea fan.
The Characteristics of Semper Tea Oolong Tea
Semper Tea oolong tea is oxidized up to 65%. Because of this, it belongs to the varieties of oolong tea closest to black tea. Its aroma is reminiscent of wood and ripe peaches with certain toasted and dense touches.
Let’s not forget that all these flavours and aromas can be enjoyed 100% naturally. The organic seal of the European Union certifies that Semper Tea oolong tea comes from organic crops that avoid chemicals and additives in production.
At the same time, the cycles of nature are also respected to get the product that the consumer deserves.
Like other varieties of oolong tea, Semper Tea oolong tea can be consumed more than once, and in this way, you can enjoy its slightly changed aroma.
Preparation of Semper Tea Oolong tea
- To prepare a cup of Semper Tea oolong tea, Take out a pyramidal tea bag from the small boxes and place it in a cup with boiling water (it should be at 100 ° C).
- You can infuse for approximately 2 or 3 minutes.
- Depending on the intensity you prefer, you can leave it in the water for a minute or so.
- Unlike green or black tea, oolong tea can stay a little longer in the water without acquiring a bitter taste so quickly.
- There are people who prefer the first infusion of oolong tea, although there are also those who prefer the second one, which has a milder flavor.
- In my opinion, when the tea bag is infused more than once, it remains in the water for 1 or 2 minutes longer than recommended.
- In this way, the second infusion should be in the water for 5 minutes, and the third approximately 7 minutes.
- With just one tea bag you can experience the variations of oolong tea in many different ways.
- Another advantage of being able to infuse oolong tea more than once is that its concentration of caffeine is reduced each time the tea bag is used.
- I often use the first infusion first thing in the day to wake up, while the second infusion keeps me active after my midday fatigue.
- The third infusion can be enjoyed without a problem later in the day without causing discomfort in sleep.
- However, I encourage you all to discover your own cycle with the oolong tea and the intensity that you like the most.
Oolong tea has many positive properties. This drink can offer many other advantages in addition to its incomparable and delicious aroma and flavor.
Those who value health and beauty will be able to trust oolong tea to take care of themselves. The properties of oolong tea can be really beneficial for our health and can help us achieve a greater state of well-being.
I’ll highlight the following components:
- Vitamins C, B, A, E, and K
- Folic acid and other detoxifying alkaloids,
- Minerals such as copper, manganese, potassium, selenium, and carotene
- Antioxidants, caffeine, and catechins
Through these components, oolong tea will have a direct positive impact on your body. Oolong tea burn belly fat. It is claimed that just one cup of oolong tea a day can improve your general health.
Learn how to make instant pot cauliflower.
Change your life with Oolong tea
- Oolong tea burn belly fat. It can accelerate weight loss, as it stimulates metabolism and therefore burns calories faster.
- It can also help reduce stress. Scientific studies have shown that oolong tea releases certain amino acids that help control the stress response in the brain.
- With its help you can improve the health and resilience of the skin. It can help to get rid of small wrinkles.
- Oolong tea can also improve concentration and attention. Caffeine helps you stay awake and active. Unlike coffee or energy drinks, caffeine is released more slowly in tea. Therefore, the typical nerves that caffeine causes do not arise, but it maintains the activity in a smoother way.
Delicious and Irresistible Fusion Recipes
On our China tour, my husband and I bought a bulk load of Oolong tea. So, naturally i decided to experiment with it. I made cookies, iced tea and mojito with it. Let me share the recipes with you.
Homemade cookies with Oolong tea – blue tea
Semper Tea’s oolong tea is delicious on its own and a recipe for homemade cookies with blue tea is even better.
A tablespoon or two of oolong tea leaves is enough to gently savor its roasted aroma and smoky flavor in cookies.
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 Semper Tea organic oolong pyramid bag (s)
- 1 cup of flour
- powdered sugar to roll the dough
- Preheat the oven to 175 C degrees. Place baking paper on two baking sheets. Open the pyramidal bag of Semper Tea organic oolong tea and pour the loose leaves into a cup.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, flour, and tea leaves, until very soft and moist cookie dough forms.
- Pour ½ cup of powdered sugar into a small bowl.
- Scoop out a teaspoon of cookie dough and stir in powdered sugar. Place the dough on the prepared trays and flatten with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Place the cookies in the tray on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
Serve with your favorite Semper Tea and enjoy!
Oolong Iced Tea – Enjoy Its Sweetness
Enjoy this recipe for refreshing cold tea or Oolong iced tea with a subtle sweetness.
This oolong iced tea recipe is a refreshing, semi-sweet drink and very easy to prepare. Black tea is usually the preference for making iced tea, but it is also possible to prepare a delicious cold drink with oolong tea. Especially if you are looking for a healthier alternative to traditionally sweet teas.
When drinks cool, they tend to lose some of their sweetness. This recipe calls for a naturally sweet oolong, such as Semper Tea organic oolong tea, so you only have to add a touch of honey.
- 1 pyramid bag of organic oolong tea from Semper Tea
- 1 cup of almost boiling water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup of ice
- Pour the bubbly water over the pyramidal oolong tea bag.
- Let it steep for about 3 minutes.
- Add honey, stir and pour the tea over ice.
Mojito Oolong – a cocktail with a special touch
Summertime temperatures require fresh and sparkling cocktails. Taking a mojito is like a dip in the sea, especially with this mojito recipe with blue Oolong tea.
I have given a special touch to the classic mojito, adding tea ice cubes and oolong tea syrup.
You can experiment with different styles of tea for different touches of flavor. Green teas also work very well. Oolong tea will give you a sweet and soft floral character that you will love.
First You have to prepare the ice cubes and the oolong tea syrup.
Oolong tea ice cubes
Prepare a cup or teapot of organic oolong tea from Semper Tea. Let the tea cool and pour into a tray of ice cubes to freeze.
Oolong tea syrup
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 pyramid bags of organic oolong tea from Semper Tea
- In a saucepan, bring the sugar to a boil with the water and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from the heat, open the oolong tea bags, and add the tea leaves.
- Stir it regularly so that the leaves unfold and release their flavor.
- Let the mixture soak for about 10 minutes.
- Then strain the oolong tea leaves, let the syrup cool completely, and refrigerate.
Read all about instant pot chicken cacciatore.
Ingredients for the mojito with Oolong:
- 6-8 mint leaves, fresh and aromatic (plus some sprigs to decorate)
- 1 x wedge lime cut (plus some lime wedges for garnish)
- 1 x lemon wedge
- oolong tea ice cubes (see above)
- oolong tea syrup (see above)
- 30 ml good Cuban and aged rum
- soda water
Preparation of Mojito
- Place the lime wedges in a tall glass, add the oolong tea syrup and mix everything well.
- Stir and mash everything together in the bottom of the glass with a long-handled spoon to release the lime juice.
- Add the mint leaves carefully without destroying them, pushing them into the lime juice and tea syrup.
- Mix everything well, the idea is that the leaves give off their aroma and essences during maceration.
- Fill the glass halfway with oolong tea ice cubes, or crush the ice cubes.
- Add the rum and mix everything well. At the end pour sparkling water and garnish the cocktail with a sprig of mint and a slice of lime.
Oolong tea burn belly fat. Not only this, but it also helps regularize your metabolism. You still can enjoy this amazing tea, even if you are not a health freak. Why? Because of its amazing taste. The first time I had a cup of oolong tea, I couldn’t resist it and since then it has become a staple in my house.