For a large part of people who are athletes, and who take into account the optimal amount of protein that we should take daily in our diet, you will not deny that grilling chicken thighs are one of our great allies.
Probably, we are going to take a little longer than if we prepare them on the grill, but it will be worth it when you eat some delicious grilled chicken thighs accompanied with delicious sauces. In this case, we are going to accompany our plate with some varied vegetables as well to keep our diet healthy and beneficial.
Things to consider before grilling chicken thighs and breasts
Ideally, we should buy the chicken breast in pieces instead of filleted, since the fillets that we bought previously broken are too thin for the baked recipe.
In case of thighs, Remove the excess fat, clean the thighs and place various cuts on them so that they can absorb our seasoning more efficiently.
These grilling chicken thighs will have a homemade 3-ingredient sauce that gives it a delicious flavor. Instead of frying them in abundant oil as is usually the custom in restaurants, we are going to cook them on the grill, so that they are left with the meat very juicy and crispy on the outside.
Also read our article on butter poached lobster.
Recipe for Grilling Chicken Thighs and breasts
- 6 chicken thighs remove excess fat
- 1 chicken breast piece
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200g of mixed vegetables
- 50g low-calorie ham or turkey
- 2-3 slices of gouda light cheese
- 1 tablespoon light sauce or low-calorie mayonnaise
- Mix the yellow mustard, maple syrup, and balsamic vinegar on a plate with a fork or a balloon whisk until well incorporated.
- Cut the thighs with the help of a sharp knife.
- Clean the thighs under running water and dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- Turn on the charcoal or grill. When it is at a medium temperature (when you can place your hand on the heat of the grill and you can leave it 5-6 seconds without burning yourself).
- Grease the grill lightly to avoid sticking. Season the thighs with salt and pepper to taste and place them on the grill. Let cook about 10 to 12 minutes per side, with the grill lid on. The thighs come off the grill easily when they are almost ready. Cooking time also depends on how big and thick the thighs are, since now in supermarkets it varies from brand to brand. To know if the juices that come out of the thighs are well cooked they must be light or transparent, if the juices are pink or red they still lack cooking.
- When they are almost done, cover with the mustard sauce and cook about 2 more minutes, turn and cover the other side with the remaining sauce, cooking another 2 minutes. You can reserve a little sauce before covering the wings to serve with wings when they are ready, do not serve the sauce that you already used to marinate the wings or if you put the brush that was in contact with the raw chicken since the sauce already had contamination cross with chicken and you can get sick.
- Serve hot with your favorite garnish.
- The first thing we will do is open the breast, like a book, leaving it unfinished to open on one side, to better maneuver with the piece. Once opened and seasoned, we will fill the breast with the ham slices and on these, we do the same with the cheese slices.
- We close the chicken breast and with the help of a kitchen brush, or else we can use cutlery, we “paint” the stuffed breast with the light sauce or light mayonnaise.
- We only have to put the piece in the oven, previously preheated, for about 30 minutes at 180-200º and gratinate the last 5 minutes. We will accompany our stuffed breast with a stir-fry of various grilled vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions about grilling chicken Thighs:
The temperature of the grill depends upon the thighs you’re grilling. For boneless thighs 400 degrees is perfect. But in the case of bone-in thighs you need to raise the temperature up to 450 degree for a thorough cooking.
The answer again depends upon the thighs you’re grilling. For grilling chicken thighs that are boneless you will need 8 minutes. While it may take 10 to 13 minutes to properly grill bone in thighs.
Yes, do not worry. although thermometer makes it easier to gauge the temperature that does not mean that you cant grill thighs perfectly without it.
Initial temperature measurement: Turn on the charcoal or grill. When it is at a medium temperature (when you can place your hand on the heat of the grill and you can leave it 5-6 seconds without burning yourself).
To know if the juices that come out of the thighs are well cooked they must be light or transparent, if the juices are pink or red they still lack cooking.
Start the grilling with the skin side in contact with grill. cook for 2 to 3 minutes until skin turns out to be crispy. Then switch the sides and cook the thighs properly.
Now that you know all about grilling chicken thighs, take out that grill and plan a perfect day grilling thighs with your family.