I exactly don’t know for how long I have been eating coffee cake every Sunday. Coffee cake is quite popular in our family. My mother makes it for us and watching her do so, I also tried it. The recipe turned out quite delicious, so I thought I should share it with you guys. This delicious coffee cake recipe won’t disappoint.
If you haven’t eaten a coffee cake yet, you would be concerned about the literal idea of a coffee cake. Let me make one thing clear, coffee cake isn’t a cake having coffee in it.
Rather than it is a cake served with coffee. This delicious cake is mostly served with coffee, and this is where its name comes from. It is a mildly sweet cake with a cinnamon crumb layer.
What makes a coffee cake so special!
The dense cake with a fluffy texture, and a thick layer of cinnamon sugar filling; isn’t it the best edible for evening tea sessions, or the best partner of your morning coffee.
I have seen my younger siblings drooling over the sight of this coffee cake kept in the middle of the dining table. The perfect amount of crumb topping on this coffee cake makes it further delicious.
You won’t find anything more delicious and savory than this coffee cake. Try out the recipe, and you’ll find out that I don’t lie.
If you want to make a coffee cake, you have got to the right place. The recipe is so easy, and you will love making it. You can make this delicious in just a few steps. You don’t have to buy any special ingredients or any equipment. Just grab your mixing bowl and a spoon, and we are ready.
A beginner’s guide for coffee cake lovers!
Before diving into the discussion about the recipe for coffee cake, let me introduce you to some characteristic features of coffee cake. You must keep them in mind while making a coffee cake.
- There is no need for frosting. The dusting of powdered sugar or a slight sprinkle of icing glaze would be enough. In this recipe, we will be dusting our coffee cake with powdered sugar.
- Coffee cakes are characterized by cinnamon spicing. They are known for it, so we cannot skip this step.
- Crumb topping is a step that can be skipped or added according to your liking or disliking. The tough crumb topping isn’t necessary, but you can add it to make your coffee cake more delicious. You can also add nuts in the crumb toppings if you like them. I’ll remind you of this step when we’ll be done with baking.
- The base of the coffee cake needs to be a vanilla cake. I haven’t made any strict rules, but this how it is done. Conventionally, you don’t use chocolate cake as a base for coffee cake. There is no objection, but you don’t.
- Coffee cakes are usually single-layered. It is another feature that I haven’t decided on. Coffee cakes are typically available in a single layer, so we also make them in a single layer.
I have all the ingredients, but I have no idea about the steps of the recipe!
The basic ingredients of the coffee cake are so basic that they can be easily found in everyone’s kitchen. This is the advantage of this recipe that you won’t have to rush to the supermarket to bring some special ingredients.
The only thing you have to do is to combine these ingredients with your pure efforts, and the result will be a savory and mouth-watering coffee cake. Let me introduce you to some of the basic steps of the recipe.
- The cake that you are using for coffee cake is the sour cream cake. Sour cream will make it moist, and it will make whipping easy for you. With the addition of sour cream, you will get your desired mixture in a short time.
- Don’t worry if you don’t know anything about the filling of the batter. It just includes cinnamon, sugar, and flour. You just have to spread the mixture of these three ingredients over the batter, and some resting aside batter over this layer of mixture.
- Now you are worried about the crumb topping because you don’t know how to make it. Worry less. You are at the right place, and I will tell you everything step by step. The crumb topping is very easy and quick to prepare. Just use some melted butter, and the topping will be quite easy to mix.
Also Like Best Restaurants in London
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Serving: 12 persons
Grab a bowl and a spoon and get ready to flex about the delicious coffee cake you are going to make today.
- Butter (1 cup)
- Granulated sugar (1 cup)
- Light brown sugar (2/3 cup)
- Eggs (3)
- Vanilla extract (1 tablespoon)
- Sour cream (3/4 cup)
- Kosher salt (1 teaspoon)
- Baking powder (3 teaspoons)
- Milk (1 ¼ cup)
- All purpose flour (3 + 2/3 cup)
- Light brown sugar (3/4 cup)
- All-purpose flour (3/4 cup)
- Ground cinnamon (2 teaspoons)
For crumb topping
- Melted butter (6 tablespoons)
- Light brown sugar (1 cup)
- Ground cinnamon (1 ½ tablespoon)
- All-purpose flour (1 cup)
- Powdered sugar (1 cup)
- Milk (2-3 tablespoons)
Don’t get worried by looking at this long list of ingredients. As I mentioned earlier, you won’t need to rush to the supermarket to get any special ingredients.
These are the same basic ingredients that all have in your kitchens. I have just divided them so that the recipe gets easier for you if you want to increase the ratio.
Instructions of the coffee cake recipe
Preparation of filling
Take a medium-sized bowl. Place all the three ingredients mentioned for filling in this bowl. Whisk these ingredients together until they get combined evenly. Set this filling aside.
Preparation of crumb topping
Take melted butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and flour in a bowl. Mix all the ingredients. You need large crumb pieces; use your hands for this purpose. Make large crumb pieces and set them aside.
Preparation of cake batter
Take butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar. Put it in the cake mixer, keep the speed at medium, and whisk it until the mixture is fluffy. Now add sour cream, salt, baking powder, eggs, and vanilla essence.
Mix it again. After adding each ingredient and mixing it; make sure that your mixture is well-combined. Now turn the mixer from medium to low. Now add flour and milk to it. These two ingredients are to be added with great care.
You have to add them in flipping turns, rather than adding them all at once. Mix it well, until everything is combined and smooth. Make sure no scraps are attached to the sides of the bowl.
Assembling and baking
Preheat oven at 350°F. Coat the baking dish with a non-stick spray. Set it aside for a few minutes. For assembling, take this prepared pan; spread half of the cake batter over this pan. Evenly spread the filling over this batter layer. Spread the remaining half batter over the filling layer. Now, dust the crumb topping evenly over the cake batter.
The minimum baking time for a coffee cake is 40-45 minutes. Let me tell you the best way to check whether your cake is done or not. Insert a toothpick and check if it comes out clean or not. This tip will help you a lot if you have faced issues regarding the approximate baking time of recipes.
Tada! Your coffee cake is ready.
Take out the cake from the oven, and put it aside to cool.
Icing for your coffee cake (optional step)
Here is an optional step for your delicious coffee cake. It is up to you whether you want to do icing or not. If you want to do icing, here is how you should do it.
Take butter and powdered sugar, and mix it. Thin this mixture with milk. You can thin it according to your desired consistency. After it is ready, sprinkle it over the coffee cake.
If you didn’t find time to prepare the icing, and plain cake is looking boring; you can sprinkle some powdered sugar instead of icing. This will make your coffee cake even more delicious.
You have got the way to the whole coffee cake recipe. Before you leave this site, here is another tip for you. Don’t leave this cake uncovered after its cut. I know this tip applies to all edibles, but in the case of coffee cake, you have to especially keep this tip in mind.
This is because the coffee cake dries out quickly. If you want to eat it the next morning, with your coffee, you have to wrap it carefully so that it might not dry out.